Re: rman question

From: <tedchyn_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 20:13:26 GMT

In article <tw8G5.11774$wL5.42968_at_news1.mco>,   "J. Eric Morris" <jemorris_at_bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Ted,
>
> Your RMAN install must reside on the same machine as your Target
 Database
> (i.e the Database that you wish to back up). If your Target database
 is on
> a UNIX box, then your RMAN install must also be on that same box. As
 for
> the media management layer (i.e. legato, adsm, omnibak, etc.), you
 need only
> link this library into the RMAN executable if you plan to back up to
 a tape
> device that the MML interfaces with. If you wish to merely backup to
 disk,
> then the MML is not needed.
>
> You may choose to create your Catalog Database on the NT Box as long
 as the
> NT Box and the UNIX Box can communicate with each other via Net8.
>
> For more detail, check out the Oracle8i Doc Set for the RMAN Doc.
 It's

> > sir:
> >
> > I have following configuration
> > rman on a nt box and database/mml(media manager layer) in a unix
 box:
> > 1.Is it necessary to link rman to mml for oracle 8i ?
> > 2. if the above question is true how do i link mml to rman (because
> > they resides in different box)?
> >
> > thnx ted chyn
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

eric, I am confused about this, I reseach on this forum, somebody was telling for oracle 8i linking for mml and rman is no longer necessary. Is this true ?

regarding to your reply,
if I have rman on a nt pc, I still need to link rman to mml ? thnx again
ted

> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 16 2000 - 15:13:26 CDT