Re: 8i export import to 8.0.5.1 database not a valid export file, header failed verification

From: Dave A <dave_and_vanna_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 17:27:33 -0500

Perhaps I am missing something. It seems there are enough folks who believe it to be possible to take an export from a newer database and import it into an older database that maybe my assumptions, based upon trying it, are not valid.
Theoretically it is possible to take an export of a version 7 database, run catexp7.sql against an 8i database and then import the version 7 export file into the 8i database. I say theoretically because in my experience this causes core dumps in an 8i database (8.1.6.2 to be exact).

However, if one exports from an 8i database, how is the version 7 imp utility supposed to recognize the content of the 8i export file? How would the version 8i import utility understand the stucture of the version 7 exp/imp datadictionary objects? And assuming it could, how would one have a version 8 import utility on a machine running version 7?

If someone could be kind enough to tell me the procedures they followed to import a newer version export file into an older version database, I would be happy to try it. And I *do* hope it works, because I would like to do exactly that.

--
Dave A

> > > I can run the V8.0 export tool against a 8.1.6 database,
> > > and an import, too (8.0 tool, 8.1 db)
> > >
> > > hth, grtz Frank

Production