Re: OCP - DBA

From: J. Eric Morris <jemorris_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 19:55:48 -0400

Randy,

As with so many things, the answer to the difficulty aspect of your dual-aspect question is, "it depends." The difficulty is relative to a great number of things; however, subjectively, I can say that the Oracle OCP Exams are not entirely the most difficult in the world (I know, I know....rather open ended). As far as the good place to start aspect of your question:
  a.. DO NOT start with the Oracle DBA OCP Preparation Guide from New Rider's Press. All-in-all, this is a good preparation tool for the Oracle7 OCP Exams; however, the Oracle7 Exams have been retired.   b.. If you want to actually learn a bit while you are cramming, the Exam Cram Series is a good set of books.   c.. The Oracle Press OCP Exam Guides are excellent resources as well.   d.. Perhaps, your best resources are the actual student kits from the Oracle University/Oracle Education classes that the Exams are based on (if you can attend the classes or if you know somebody that can let you borrow their kit). The questions for the exams come directly from these student kits.
  e.. Also, the Practice Exams are a good resource too. You can buy them online or download sample questions. Go to http://education.oracle.com/ and check out the details at the OCP Home Page.
I hope this gives you the guidance you seek.

Kindest Regards,

Eric