open_cursors setting

From: Jim Poe <jpoe_at_fulcrumit.com>
Date: 13 Oct 2000 16:37:37 GMT

Can anyone advise us on how to set open_cursors in the initialization file. Related to this is how do we determine which cursors to leave open during the session or close immediately after use?

Obviously, a cursor opened and used repeatedly within a loop would be kept open until the loop was finished. But, most of our sql consists of parameterized queries that are executed as the user navigates through the application. These queries may be used repeatedly ( in human time ) or infrequently, or not at all during a session. Does it make sense to open these cursors and leave them open during the entire session?

Thanks

--
Jim Poe ( jpoe_at_fulcrumit.com )