Oracle Foreignkey: really it works?

From: Antonio Sant <asant_at_iol.it>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 21:43:47 GMT

Excuse my bad English.

I want to discuss with you this strange (?) behaviour.

Suppose we have this tables

Tab1

ID                 NUMBER
Flag            Char(1)

Resource Number

Tab2
Flag Char(1)
Resource Number
Desc Varcahr(200)

with a foreing key from Tab2 to Tab1 defined as (flag,resource).

If we submit this code

Begin
 Insert into Tab1
 Values (1,'K',12);

 Insert into Tab2
 Values ('K',12,'Oracle test');

END; It works great, but the same applay for the next:

Begin

Insert into Tab2
 ('K',NULL,'Oracle test');

END; For Oracle the Foreing key relation hold!

We are working with Oracle 7 version 7.4 On AIX, the same things seme to work in Oracle 8.0 on Sun!

Is this a bug?

Any suggestion?

If needed I can post a more detailed version.

Bye for now! Received on Fri Oct 13 2000 - 16:43:47 CDT