Re: Standby databases and different sids

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 10:01:58 +1000

First off, remember that the database name and the name of the Instance are two entirely different things. So the fact that you have a SID of 'timbuctoo' doesn't mean zip when it comes to what the Control File knows to be the database name.

However, there is a parameter called db_name which is used to check these things, and if you're going to start fiddling around with SIDs and database names, you might want to check that you've changed that too.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't be changing the names. The idea of the standby is that you can failover to it relatively gracefully -that means clients have minimum work to do to connect to the new server. Start changing database names, and you rather defeat the object of the exercise.

Finally, though: the whole enterprise is doomed because one of your boxes is running a different version of the operating system than the other. It's explicitly stated in all the training documentation that the two boxes have to be configured identically with the same operating system and same Oracle version -right down to the identical patch numbers.

You might be able to get away with it, but since the whole concept of standby database is to provide for disaster recovery, I wouldn't be complicating the scenario too much. These database are supposed to be clones (ie, 'identical copies') of each other. So, make it so.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000