Re: Increase the size of rollback segments

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 11:16:36 +1000

Why avoid dropping them? There's no point. Create a new one first, then drop the old ones. Incidentally, Optimal is a very bad idea (it will cause shrinking just exactly when you don't want it to happen: when a new transaction is looking to acquire new rollback blocks).

I suppose that a specific answer to your actual requirements might be: alter rollback segment to have optimal of a bezillion megs, and let it expand as necessary during normal operations. Since it will never hit optimal, it will retain all the extra extents it acquires as part of normal operation.

Oh, 20 extents is duff as well... totally unnecessary these days. The recommendation for 20 comes from the old Oracle 6 days when transactions couldn't share extents. Half a dozen appropriately sized extents is fine for Oracle 7.1 onwards.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000