Re: BLOBS via ODBC - Access Violation Every Time

From: <jocave_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:01:43 GMT

In article <8s0no6$clf$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   David Murphy <davidmurphy7799_at_my-deja.com> wrote:

> > Each time we release a new driver, we release it on a series of
> > platforms. This means that the most recent driver for each platform
 is
> > identical code built against different Oracle DLL's. Thus, for all
> > practical purposes, the 8.1.6.1, 8.1.5.6, 8.0.6.1, and 8.0.5.9 ODBC
> > drivers should be identical. The OTN download page should give you
> > options to download the most recent driver for the 8.0.5, 8.0.6,
 8.1.5,
> > or 8.1.6 platforms-- customers should install the appropriate
 version
> > (i.e. 8.0.5.9 on an 8.0.5 client, 8.0.6.1 on an 8.0.6 client,
 8.1.5.6
> > on and 8.1.5 client, and 8.1.6.1 on an 8.1.6 client).
> >

> OK This is good - it just means all bug fixes are fixed across all
> (recent) versions of Oracle.
> Therefore the bug that was fixed in ODBC 8.1.56 should also be fixed
 in
> the latest ODBC drvier for Ora 8.0.x - correct?
> So we tell the customer just install the latest ODBC for there Ora
> version.

Exactly.

> > >2. 'The following ODBC functions are not
 supported:SQLBulkOperations'
 yet
> > >'ODBC 8.0.5.5.0 says 'now supports scrollable/updateable cursors'.
 SO
 how do
> > >you insert into a cursor without SQLBulkOperations?
> >
> > Chapter 12 of the Microsoft ODBC Programmer's Reference talks about
> > inserting & updating cursors. It has separate sections for
 SQLSetPos
> > and SQLBulkOperations-- either should be sufficient.
>
> OK - SQLSetPos has modes for POSITION, REFRESH, UPDATE and DELETE
 only.
> To perform a row INSERT my understanding is that you need to call
> SQLBulkOperations.
> I cant see any other way in ODBC Reference chap 12 to do it..certianly
> the description
> of SQLSetPos does not mention INSERTS..

Let me poke around our sample code and see if I can't find something...

Justin Cave
Oracle ODBC Development

Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not reflect those of Oracle Corporation.

> In article <8s0ml9$bp2$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> David Murphy <davidmurphy7799_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> >

> > >Well I installed the 8.1.56 ODBC driver and everything is much
 improved..
> > >:-) which is great..
> > >
> > >Is it true that all relevant ODBC APIs should now work the same
> > >(SQLBindParam, SQLBindCol, SQLParamData and SQLPutData) regardless
 of
> > >whether the column is BLOB or (LONG) RAW? Previously raw worked and
 BLOB
> > >failed.
> >
> > Yipee!!
> >
> > >Now what do we tell customers ?
> > >
> > >For 8.1.6 customers I assume (?) that the 8.1.6 driver will work OK
 since
> > >the bug fixes are in it? - Would that be correct?
> > >
> > >For 8.1.5 customers I tell them upgrade the ODBC to .56
> > >
> > >For 8.0.x customers (who reported the issue) can they use the
 8.1.56
 ODBC
> > >driver over 8.0.x? This is the important one since we have several
 customers
> > >dead in the water because of this..
> >
> > Each time we release a new driver, we release it on a series of
> > platforms. This means that the most recent driver for each platform
 is
> > identical code built against different Oracle DLL's. Thus, for all
> > practical purposes, the 8.1.6.1, 8.1.5.6, 8.0.6.1, and 8.0.5.9 ODBC
> > drivers should be identical. The OTN download page should give you
> > options to download the most recent driver for the 8.0.5, 8.0.6,
 8.1.5,
> > or 8.1.6 platforms-- customers should install the appropriate
 version
> > (i.e. 8.0.5.9 on an 8.0.5 client, 8.0.6.1 on an 8.0.6 client,
 8.1.5.6
> > on and 8.1.5 client, and 8.1.6.1 on an 8.1.6 client).
> >
> > >Reading the release notes some other questions :-
> > >
> > >1. 8.1.55 says 'supports UNICODE'. Could an 8.0.x user support
 UNICODE
 using
> > >the 8.1.55 ODBC. If not what would they do if they are on 8.0.x (or
 7.x)?
> > >Will 7.0 work with any form of UNICODE and ODBC?
> >
> > An 8.0.5 user could do Unicode with the 8.0.5.9 ODBC driver.
> > Installing the 8.1.5.5 or 8.1.5.6 ODBC drivers on an 8.0.5 system is
> > unlikely to work, and definitely not supported.
> >
> > >2. 'The following ODBC functions are not
 supported:SQLBulkOperations'
 yet
> > >'ODBC 8.0.5.5.0 says 'now supports scrollable/updateable cursors'.
 SO
 how do
> > >you insert into a cursor without SQLBulkOperations?
> >
> > Chapter 12 of the Microsoft ODBC Programmer's Reference talks about
> > inserting & updating cursors. It has separate sections for
 SQLSetPos
> > and SQLBulkOperations-- either should be sufficient.
> >
> > Justin Cave
> > Oracle ODBC Development
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Oct 12 2000 - 11:01:43 CDT