Re: Pls Help: Oracle 8.1.6 & Linux Install

From: John L <jl_at_cromwellmedia.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:21:55 +0100

Eric Indiogine wrote in message <39E50C10.72C57D64_at_spinn.net>...
>I have installed 8.1.6 on Red Hat Linux 6.2. If I am not mistaken you do
 not
>create the UNIX user groups
>sysdba and sysoper, but only oinstall. sysdba and sysoper are Oracle roles
 that
>the install routine assigns to the oinstall group.

You are basically right, except that the convention is to call the group dba.

You can also have the oinstall group, but really that is for big companies where there are rigid demarcation lines between sys admins (who install software on machines) and dba's (who look after the database itself, dba in Oracle is like root in Unix): these companies will have sysadmins install the software with the oinstall group so that the people in the dba group cannot delete/edit the files.

As you say, these correspond to what Oracle documentation refers to as the sysoper ( = sysadmin = oinstall) and sysdba ( = dba = dba) roles.

John. Received on Thu Oct 12 2000 - 10:21:55 CDT