cannot bring up OAS server, new install

From: Shirley Barger <sbarger_at_ccsf.cc.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:35:09 -0700

 RDBMS Version: 8.1.6 (Enterprise)
 Operating System and Version: HPUX 11.0  Product (i.e., OAS, IAS, etc): OAS
 Product Version: 4.0.8.1
 JDK Version: 1.1.8.03
 Error number: OWS-20214

 Cannot start and connect to OAS

We just installed 4.0.8.1 on a machine separate from the database. We get "The OAS processes can not be started, because the CORBA orb processes can not be started" when we attempt a start via "owsctl start"> We can see that port 2649 is bound and listening. If we bring up just node manager and try to attach, port 8888 establishes a connection, but nothing is returned to the browser; it just hangs. We get no *.out error files, nslookup shows both forward and reverse lookup works fine. "owsctl stop" aborts and dumps core.
We are using java 1.18.03 and applied patch for bug#1102730 to accommodate this. The only things on this machine are the OS, java, c, and OAS. It's a brand-new machine and has no other Oracle products on it. We've been all through Metalink (nothing we found applies here), and we have an Oracle TAR out, but Oracle hasn't been helpful. What are we missing? Thanks very much for any enlightenment.

--

Shirley Barger                           (sbarger_at_ccsf.cc.ca.us)
City College of San Francisco