Re: Disadvantages of Bitmap Indexes?

From: Dave A <dave_and_vanna_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 22:44:18 -0500

The locking issue is unlikely to impact you with only 1200 rows inserted in a week period. In any event, even is one session is blocked by a lock, it will clear in a reasonable period of time and then the next dml statement will execute.

What can cause a problem is that any alter table command run against the table with the bitmap index will put the index into a state called "direct load". This will prevent any updates to the index. I have no idea why this is, but I found out about it the hard way. The only way to get the index out of direct load state (that I know of) is to drop it and recreate it.

Bitmap indexes can dramatically improve performance in some cases and yours sounds like an appropriate use of the bitmap index. I do not believe you will have any "heavy load OLTP" issues with it as 1200 inserts per week isn't what I would call a heavy load. I would be *very* sure that you remain vigilant of any alter table commands run against the table though or you will find everything locked until you drop (and recreate) the index.

I would encourage you to place a bitmap index on a test table and then perform any alter table command on the table and then query dba_indexes for the status of the bitmap index to see what I am talking about.

--
Dave A