Re: How to Connect an Oracle database from ASP,MIIS

From: <maaher_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 07:41:45 GMT

In article <D0UE5.2700$s31.71244_at_afrodite.telenet-ops.be>,   "Bart De Lathouwer" <bart_at_aigis.be> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have to access an Oracle 8.1.6. database from an Active Server page
 (ASP).

> I don't want to access the tables directly, i prefer to pass my
 request to
> PL/SQL.
> I need to be able to fetch singleton results and multiple row results.
>
> Question:
> What are the available mechanisms to access Oracle 8.1.6. from an ASP
> environment
> running on a Microsoft web server (MIIS)
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Bart De Lathouwer

I suggest to use OLE DB.
From OTN (technet.oracle.com):

"OLE DB is an open standard data access methodology that utilizes a set of COM interfaces for accessing and manipulating all types of data. It is the Microsoft standard for Universal Data Access and is supported by a variety of programming languages such as ActiveX Data Objects (ADO), Visual Basic, Active Server Pages (ASP), VC++, and any client complying with the OLE DB specification.
The Oracle Provider for OLE DB program is currently available with Oracle8i Release 2 for Windows. The provider allows high performance and reliable access to Oracle databases for ADO- or OLE DB-enabled applications.
Additionally, the provider allows access to Oracle-specific features, including PL/SQL stored procedures and LOBs. The Oracle OLE DB Provider supports transaction enlistment through the Oracle Services for Microsoft Transaction Server."

The Oracle Provider for OLE DB is free to download from this site.

HTH,
Maarten

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Oct 11 2000 - 02:41:45 CDT