Re: Oracle/Linux Newbie

From: Jay Strauss <jstrauss_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 22:40:22 -0500

I don't know what exactly you have done, but on Linux (and Unix) there is a standard way to start/stop processes at boot/shutdown.

On RedHat you put scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d

then you put symbolic links in /etc/rcNNN.d/ directories where NNN is the initialization level (i.e. single user = 1, normal = 3...).

So for example you create a script called /etc/rc.d/init.d/oracle8i (you hacked
it by copying an existing script in /etc/rc.d/init.d), within this script you
call dbstart and dbshut under the correct circumstances.

Then you #ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/oracle8i /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99oracle8i

The S stands for "Start", the 99 is a sequence number

do a search on "oracle" "howto" "Linux" on yahoo, Paul Haigh wrote a hoot and its all over the net, it's v7 but still has some good info.

--

Jay Strauss
jstrauss_at_bazillion.com