Re: Can you trigger an automatic WHERE-clause on any statement on a table?

From: Marc Billiet <someone.overthere_at_living>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 05:37:20 GMT

Private Virtual Database (aka Fine Grained Access Control) is already

available in 8.1.6 and can indeed be used for such a thing. Maybe that's what you are looking for.

Marc

Op 2000-10-10, 9:49:56, schreef Kirt Thomas <kremovethisspamthingthomas_at_gfsiinc.com> over het thema Re: Can you trig ger
an automatic WHERE-clause on any statement on a table?:

> Wouldn't this be an ideal way to use the new virtual db 'thing' in
> 8.2, errr, 9i ? - I had thought this was also going to be available in

> 8.1.7.

> On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:36:40 +0100, "Andrew Hardy"
> <Andrew.Hardy_at_BGTechnology.com> wrote:

> >It is not possible to set a WHERE clause for a table in such a manner
 .

> >The nearest thing that I can think of is to use a VIEW with a where

clause
> >that includes the USER, rename the table and name the view to the nam
that
> >the table did have.
> >
> >Andy
> >Jacob <jacmads_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> We are currently in the process of migrating a previous single-user

> >> application to a multi-user application running on the web using Fo
 rms
> >> Server 6i on Oracle8i 8.1.6 on Windows NT. The multi-user applicati
 on is
> >> supposed to be based on user rights specified in a user table, whic
> >> contains information about, which modules of the application, the u
ser
is
> >> allowed to use.
> >>
> >> The existing database schema will be changed to include a "user id"

tuple
> >in
> >> each table, which contains user data. This tuple will reference the
 user
> >> table's primary key "user id". This means, that either we have to c
hange
> >> lot of SQL statement throughout the program to include "WHERE <user

> >> data-table>.user id = users.user id" (the "users.user id" is at l
 ogin
> >> compared with "SELECT USER FROM DUAL", and if no rows returned, the
 user
 is
> >> denied application login).
> >>
> >> Does anyone know, if it is possible to create a trigger or some oth
 er
> >> database mechanism, which you could use on the user data tables, wh
 ich
> >> automatically appends the mentioned WHERE-clause, or do we have to

re-code