An ORA-00600 error, and what went wrong.

From: Jeremy Goldberg <jgoldberg_at_dial-remove.pipex-this.com-first>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:22:43 +0100

Hi -

During a batch processing operation, I got this:

Insert failed: ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [4097], [], [], [], [], [], [], []

(Under Solaris Sparc 2.6).

I couldn't affect the table it was trying to insert into, and I couldn't truncate it, so I simply dropped and recreated it and regenerated the data
(fortunately, it was just 'base' data for further processing). So far, the
error hasn't reappeared.

Can anyone here tell me:

  1. Was this just 'one of those things', or something I've done to bring this about?
  2. What _was_ the problem?
  3. Was dropping the table and recreating a really stupid thing to do, leaving the problem as a timebomb further down the line?

Thanks in advance,