Re: Saving the config info of the whole oracle on my NT box?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 06:55:09 +0200

Answers embedded.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

"Billy Collins" <queerczar_at_unforgettable.com> wrote in message news:8s0m9i$bdf$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Hi,
>
> When I try to use Oracle connect string in my ASP code, I get the
> following error:
>
> ---------------
> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle error '80004005'
>
> The Oracle(tm) client and networking components were not found. These
> components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the
> Oracle Version 7.3.3 (or greater) client software installation. You
> will be unable to use this provider until these components have been
> installed.
> ---------------
>

> I read from help.com that one person gets around this by uninstalling
> Oracle (we use 8.1.6.0.0, NT 4) and re-installing it all over again!
>

> QUESTIONS:
>
> 1. Is this necessary? Is there any other solution to it?

AFAIK the Microsux driver is always searching for a specific *hardcoded* Oracle provided dll. As it is complaining about a 7.3.3 dll it is for me obvious your OLE DB driver is too old, and you should rather try to upgrade that one. A different solution would be installing the 7.3.3 required support files and sqlnet 2.3 as that driver is going to need sqlnet 2.3 anyway.

> 2. If not, and if I do un-install the whole Oracle from my NT box and
> re-install it, how can I minimize the effort required in creating the
> whole databases again?
>
> I have a couple of databases (created with a "TYPICAL" configuration
> from the CD) and they are both on the same listener (Ora81TNSListener,
> the default I think). The info I have modified until now includes
> USERS, and TABLES. ALl else is default.
>
> I presume that there is not too much effort involved because I can re-
> do all this stuff, but I'd really appreciate if someone could tell me
> how I can save (EXPORT) all the info about my Oracle databases now,
> including the databases + users + tables, and then re-import them back
> into the Oracle that I re-install?

Actually, in your case I should not try to do it this way, provided you have a backup mechanism -and as your are a "mama and papa"-store (what is overhere called "a company run in a bikeshed") I doubt about that- because otherwise you need to recreate your database manually (the export doesn't contain a 'create database statement') and it would take at least a half hour to write down all the steps, and there is still a fine chance you will fail.
So what I would do is the following:
backup all you database files in c:\oracle\oradata, and the c:\oracle\ora81\database directory, provided this is a default install.

Delete the instances manually, by starting up a dos box and typing
oradim -sid <yoursid> -delete
Do the same with the listener
oradim -service <servicename> -delete.
Now uninstall the sw by running the installer and reinstall it. Good Luck.