Re: any evaluation, internet-accessible oracle db ?

From: <dellera_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:38:40 GMT

 ban-spam_at_home.com (Ban Spam) wrote:
> dellera_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >is there any web site (perhaps sponsored by Oracle
> >Corporation) that allows guests to use an Oracle
> >database for evaluation/test or simply for practice,
> >accessing it via Internet ?
> >

> HUH?
> If all you want to do is use (ANSI-standard) SQL commands,
> any RDBMS that supports SQL will act the same; even the
> freeware MYSQL.

No, I want to do Oracle-specific things such as reading from the data dictionary views (or even using DECODE, which is not standard SQL).

> Alternatively you could get a trail copy of Oracle &
> load it onto your own computer.

Correct. I'm waiting to grab the 8.1.6 cd since the 8.1.5 doesn't install (I was not able to install) on my Linux box.
But, thinking about the general case, installing Oracle is not a piece of cake, and requires a lot of hardware, too. Having access to an online db for practice would be very more convenient, and sometimes the only option available.

> HTH & YMMV!

Sure this helps, thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Oct 10 2000 - 06:38:40 CDT