Re: Help! Oracle TNS listener problem

From: Doug Coan <dcoan_at_aegonusa.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:38:57 GMT

In article <8rspab$isccj$1_at_ID-45409.news.cis.dfn.de>,   "Sudip Chakraborty" <sudip_at_inductis.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running Oracle 8i Standard Edition on a Windows 2000 Advanced
 Server
> with 3 network cards. We have set up one TNS listener listening at one
 of
> the IP addresses.
>
> Every once in a while when we reboot we are not able to connect. We
 get the
> following error:
> SQL state:S1000Error Code:12541Message:[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12541:
 TNS:no
> listener
>
> Sometimes the following procedure works - disable 2 of the network
 cards,
> connect to Oracle, then restart the disabled network cards. Today,
 that's
> not working either.
>
> Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.
> Sudip

I have seen this many times with mutli-homed NT boxes. I am assuming 2000 has the same issue/resolution.

Your issue has to do with either the binding order of the cards and/or the address resolution of the local machine. Do a ping from the server to its own name and see what IP address you get. Now try from the client. Odds are they return a different IP address.

The easy solution if you don't need to change the ip address very often is to hard code the desired ip address of the server in it's listener.ora and tnsnames.ora.

You could also have the listener listening on all netowrk cards and these would need to be hard coded in the Listener.ora. Any clisnt would connect to whatever address it happened to resolve to.

You could also play with the registry, but I don't recommend this. You can also of course do some playing around with WINS/DNS to get this going correctly if you feel comfortable in this area.

HTH..

--
Doug Coan
Oracle Certified Professional DBA