Re: Which Archive-Logs are to delete?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 21:42:55 +1000

The guy is doing hot backups, and the one rule to remember about hot backups is that you do *NOT* backup your online redo logs. They are internally inconsistent, and there's no mechanism for getitng redo logs into a consistent state. Plus, given that you backup the archives, there is zero point in backing up the on-line ones.

I wouldn't comment on this, except that I've seen examples of people completely kacking up a database by restoring the online redo logs -and thus over-writing perfectly good ones with unreadable rubbish -and thereby losing data in the process.

But since you offered 'offline' backup scripts, I'm sure you knew all this: it's just that it's not what the original poster is actually doing.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000