Re: designer webserver library (wsgl?) problems

From: frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 10:19:14 GMT

Inline...

Verna Legaspi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having a problem trying to get a designer webserver generated
> application to work with my newly organized tablespace/schema design. Since
> I'm not very familiar with how Designer works and am not sure where the
> problem lies, I'll just throw in as much detail as I can...
>
> Solaris 2.7
> Oracle 8.1.6 RDBMS
>
> Using Oracle Application Server 4081
> The application uses both pl/sql and livehtml cartridges
>
> Before, we had most our applications and its required procedures in a
> "catch-all" schema,
> say we call it bob. bob had packages and procedures for this application
> and many other applications. The bob schema also has these WSGL* packages
> which we've created using scripts that came with Designer 1.3.2's client (I
> know! It's old!).
>
> We then wanted to separate each application into their own schema for easier
> maintenance/administration. So, for the bob application, we use the bob
> schema, and the john application will use the john schema, etc.
>
> Since all our other applications will be using these WSGL* packages, we
> decided to implement a similar type of setup as Oracle did for their
> Application Server - using a "public" schema (like oas_public) to hold these
> public objects. This general/public schema we called wsgl_public. We
> granted execute to public on all it's objects (just procedures and
> packages.) Then we created public synonyms to the objects in wsgl_public.
> So theoretically, both the bob and john applications will be able to use the
> procedures/packages they need from the wsgl_public schema.
>
> Most applications seem to work okay, except for just one part of the bob
> application. It seems to be able to execute its required WSGL procedure
> from the wsgl_pulic schema, but the results are different. It would return
> a negative one (-1) instead of a calculated (positive) number such as 35.
> If we make these WSGL procedures local to the bob schema, it returns the
> expected results.

Is it just calculations? Or is there some data retrieval of any kind involved? I suspect the latter - if so, check priveleges; keep in mind that grants need to be made to the user directly, or (as you use 8i) with invokers' rights.

> So my question is - does our configuration sound valid? Did I miss
> something? I'll be happy to provide more information if needed.

Works OK for me, but again, grants need to be made to the user(s) directly.