Re: Oracle Startup on Solaris 8 (newbie)

From: Bastorff <nospam_at_localhost.zz>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 00:35:39 +0200

<mobassharahmed_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8rol41$5hr$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I have installed Oracle 8i (8.1.6.0.0) on Solaris 8 but am having
> difficuly starting oracle.
>
> I have oracle installed in /home/oracle
>
> ORACLE_HOME=/home/oracle/OraHome1
> ORACLE_SID=global
>
> however by database is in /db/oracle on a seperate RAID volume.
>
> All files have permission of oracle:dba (where dba is the group).
>
> When I start dbstart it tells me that Oracle has warm started. I can
> start the listener ok. However I cant find any reference to oracle when
> I do a ps -ef. Listener is there though. And TNSping works OK.

I think this means you shouldn't believe what "unverified" scripts tells you ;-) (good thing you used ps to verify). I don't remember exactly, but it could have something to do with the missing PL/SQL line in the server "welcome banner" (removed since 8.1.6). Tnsping just checks the listener, i think, not service availability.

> However when I start sqlplus with system/manager I get
>
> ERROR:
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

This usually means that the instance isn't available. Try 'connect internal' followed by 'startup' from server manager (verify ORACLE_SID env. variable first).

> What am I missing? And where is the refernce to /db/oracle stored?

Look in the init<sid> file...

Regards,
/fad