Re: RMAN Connect Problem

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 23:36:47 +1000

First off, it's not necessary to be a sysdba to run RMAN (last time I checked, anyway -I'm always connecting as system/manager on my targets).

Second off, SYSDBA is actually a system privilege, not a role. But that's just being picky, I guess.

Third off, it sounds as if you have a lot of basic configuration issues to sort out before you can go much further with rman.

When you create a database, you should have used orapwd to create a password file, usually called 'orapw<SID>'. Can't remember exactly where you stick it off the top of my head on NT, but on Unix it's in ORACLE_HOME/dbs (I seem to remember), and NT is probably not totally dissimilar (though with no OFA in version 8 that may not be true). If that password isn't there, then yes, the 'grant sysdba to blah' command is going to fail. The fact that when you try this grant it all falls over is probably directly related to the confusion about the internal password your system seems to be having: it can't find the file, so it doesn't know what the internal password should be.

Now you may still be getting connected in server manager because you have set up an ORA_DBA local NT group (or, conceivably, an ORA_<sid>_DBA group), and assigned your user id as a memeber of that NT group -in which case, you would be using operating system authentication. You could type 'connect gibberish/totalrubbish as sysdba' (literally) and it will still connect you, because you have OS privileges -so it doesn't matter one jot what the hell you type. (And no, setting remote_login_passwordfile to exclusive doesn't switch off OS authentication -the only thing that does that is if you start getting rid of your OS groups).

Let's sort out the password authentication stuff, make sure that is working, and proceed from there.

Incidentally, as a Fourth Off, *someone* must have sysdba privileges in your database, otherwise it couldn't ever be started up and shutdown, or, in fact, created in the first place.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000

"JS" <ghp_at_videotron.ca> wrote in message

> Thanks again, set the variable to "orcl" then from dos prompt issued
rman80
> nocatalog, that launched rman ok, but when issued connect target
> system/manager, got the denied login message, insufficient privileges,
> because I know rman is looking for SYSDBA role, which nobody has in my
> database. Further, if I just do connect target internal, it wants my
> database password, which I supplied as per the entry I gave when I created
> the password file, but it doesn't recognize that password! I'm confused, I
> have the remote_login_password set to exclusive, but I cannot grant the
> sysdba role to anybody from sql. Further, even though the password file
has
> the password set for internal, svrmgr still allows me to connect without
> supplying any password. What am I doing wrong? Help!!!!!

[Snip]