Re: redo logs on Hitachi 9900

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 12:27:48 +1000

<rlro_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8rhkg1$ojt$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Hi all
>
> I am currently building 8i environments and have no option but to place
> all my redo logs on this Hitachi 9900 SAN system. It has alot of
> caching and is very fast. My question is... is there any point in using
> oracle to mirror the online redo logfiles? The disks behind the cache
> are already in a redundant configuration so effectively protected from
> hardware failure. Any thoughts?
>
> TIA
>
> Ralph

I always tend to think -if Oracle does one write, it can stuff it up. If it does two, the chances of it stuffing up twice are miniscule. And if Oracle writes three times, they would have to be infinitessimal. So yes, I always mirror inside Oracle, even if I have hardware mirroring, on the grounds that I have seen corruption propagated through a hardware mirror faster than an unladen swallow performing the simpler of its manouvres.

In any case: What's it going to cost you? A couple of hundred megabytes of duplicated redo? Possibly a gig or two? Who cares... but I'd care about corrupted active or current redo logs.

Regards
HJR