Re: semaphores and share memory

From: Dave A <dave_and_vanna_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 22:09:46 -0500

The explanation of what these are has been given, I'll answer the question about how it relates to the SGA. Basically, you have to have shared memory max segment set to be larger than your total SGA or you will a. not be able to start Oracle or b. get a whole slew of memory errors and Oracle reads/writes to memory areas beyond what the OS will allow. This will either crash your database or fill up your file system with trace files and core dumps. Been there, done that, ain't goin back.

--
Dave A