Re: RMAN Connect Problem

From: JS <ghp_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 16:01:20 -0700

Yes, well, thank you for answering but I checked the registry and the ORACLE_SID value is indeed set to "orcl". I also tried to install OEM version 2.1 but the install crashed at the Net80 setup, and since I am not familiar with Net80 yet, I just left it alone. Could this be the source of the problem? I should mention that before I get the unable to resolve service name message, RMAN itself reports that it failed to initialize internal package. I looked at the tnsnames.ora file and all seems correct, although, lol, I don't guarantee it!
Re the reason for doing all this, yes, I agree RMAN for Oracle 8 is indeed complicated, but I want to start somewhere with it, and as my income grows I'll get a bigger disk! I find the documentation provided is okay, but somewhat disorganized-too many options!
Any further help will be appreciated. Thank you. <oratune_at_aol.com> wrote in message news:8ri016$1eh$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <39dc56a4_at_news.iprimus.com.au>,
> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
> > If you set ORACLE_SID correctly before trying to start RMAN, things
 should
> > work fine.
> >
> > Whenever you say 'connect somebody/password', Oracle always has to ask
> > itself -'well, what the bloody hell does he want e to connect
 *to*??!' Now,
> > you either have to tell it explicitly what you want to connect to (by
 means
> > of the tnsnames alias that you are including in the example connect
 string
> > described below -in your case, orcl'). Or, it gives up in disgust
 and says
> > to itself, 'well, if he won't tell me, I suppose I'll just have see
 what
> > ORACLE_SID is set to, and use that'.
> >
> > The problem is that, if you want to start using tnsnames aliases, you
 have
> > to have tnsnames.ora configures correctly (and a whole host of other
 things,
> > too).
> >
> > So, explicitly set Oracle_sid first, and then run RMAN and see what
 happens.
> > If it works, then you know that tnsnames need to be looked at as a
 long-term
> > solution.
> >
> > Incidentally, full marks for trying to run RMAN without a catalogue,
 but in
> > the nicest possible way, you want your head tested. RMAN is a
 bastard of a
> > utility, and one of its saving graces is that, having once done
 battle with
> > the syntax and come up with a backup script that actually works, you
 can
> > save that script for later use -but you can only store scripts if you
 are
> > using a catalogue. In short, RMAN is a high-end backup utility, and
 if you
> > can't afford to be in the high-end (because of disk space constraints,
> > amongst other things) I frankly wouldn't be bothering with it. Use
 it as it
> > was intended to be used, or not at all, is my motto. Just a thought.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
> >
> > "JS" <ghp_at_videotron.ca> wrote in message
> > > I am trying to connect to target database with "rman80 target
> > > system/manager_at_orcl nocatalog" command. RMAN reads the control file
> > > correctly, but then gives me ora error message saying that TNS
 cannot
> > > resolve the service name. Yet, when I start SQL Plus or Server
 Manager, I
 do
> > > not need to supply any connect string other than userid and
 password as
> > > shown above, Oracle80 mounts and opens correctly. The GUI
 Recovery/Backup
> > > Manager supplied with Oracle 8 Personal Edition also works, but it
 is
> > > totally automatic. Can anybody inform me how to get RMAN to connect
 with
 the