RMAN Connect Problem

From: JS <ghp_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 23:10:56 -0700

I am trying to connect to target database with "rman80 target system/manager_at_orcl nocatalog" command. RMAN reads the control file correctly, but then gives me ora error message saying that TNS cannot resolve the service name. Yet, when I start SQL Plus or Server Manager, I do not need to supply any connect string other than userid and password as shown above, Oracle80 mounts and opens correctly. The GUI Recovery/Backup Manager supplied with Oracle 8 Personal Edition also works, but it is totally automatic. Can anybody inform me how to get RMAN to connect with the target database without setting up a different database to hold the recovery catalog? (I am very short on disk space). Thanks in advance. John Received on Thu Oct 05 2000 - 01:10:56 CDT