Re: coping the control file

From: Atta ur-Rehman <atta707_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:21:49 GMT

if by system maintenance you mean the full database 'cold backup' then you copy the control file to the back media along with your data and redo log files when you've shut down you instance.

if you want to be able to recreate a lost control file you'd use the 'alter datbase backup controlfile to trace' command and save the resultant output as script to recreate the control file if you lose all the multiplexed control files.

and if you're running NT, you won't be able to copy the control file while your database is open, that's a sharing voilatoin for NT. I'm not really sure about UNIX.

--

getting the meanin' of data...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.