Re: V$INSTANCE view in 8.1.6

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 22:22:23 +0200

If you did use SID=UAR with oradim that is your explanation. Without any doubt the sid is being maintained in the controlfile, and v$instance is a view on the controlfile. IOW you need to delete the sid (if you do that in commandline mode the database files are not deleted), edit init<sid>.ora, change the name of the controlfiles in both init<sid>.ora and on disk, and create a new instance. If you do this again in commandline mode, it will not create a new database.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA