Re: hot backup discussion

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 19:00:03 +1000

There's actually zilch problem. What happens is that the database looks suspiciously out of synch to SMON, and hence a 'database recovery required' is signalled -but it's all a total lie. So what you then have to do is to end the hot backup for each affected tablespace -except that, stranded in mount stage as you are, you can't do it at the tablespace level, so instead you are forced to issue the 'alter database datafile X end backup' command.

And if you have the maximum permitted 1023 datafiles per tablespace, you could be stranded in mount stage for a *very* long time whilst you do all that typing.

But apart from, that, no harm is done, and no real recovery is required. So it's a convenience and mean time to get back to work issue rather than anything else.

But your man should have known better, regardless.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000

<kal121_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8rb0j8$cu2$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...

> Yes, very bad idea. But I was wondering what happens to the database if
> you put all the tablespaces in hot backup mode at the same time and
> then the database crashes during the backup. What kind of problems
> would this cause?
>
> The reason I need a reality check is because a dba here wrote a script
> to put all tablespaces in hot backup mode at once and I told him that
> was a very bad idea. Not just because of the tremendous amount of redo
> generated, but because of the danger of the database crashing during
> the backup. But I need to back that statement up.
>
> Thanks
>
> In article <39d54212_at_news.iprimus.com.au>,
> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
> > Lousy idea, unless you want to see your redo log sub-system thrashed
> > within an inch of its life. When a tablespace is placed in hot
backup mode,
> > the smallest change to a block within that tablespace causes the
*entire*
> > block to be written to the log buffer (and hence onwards into the
online
> > redo logs and the archived logs). Normally, only the changed data
itself is
> > written. Hence the throughput on redo goes up enormously.
> >
> > So, extremely bad idea.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
> > --
----
> > Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
> > Oracle DBA Resources:
http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000
----

> > <kal121_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8qolvs$ok5
$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> > > What do you think of the practice of putting ALL OF YOUR
TABLESPACES in