Re: Performance estimation

From: <kal121_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 23:34:26 GMT

> > Yes, these are two very different subjects. But getting back to the
> > original question, you can't use an excel spreadsheet to determine
> > query performance. However, you can use tools, such as OEM's
> > Performance Pack, Quest's SQL Expert, Lecco, TKPROF, set autotrace
 on,
> > etc to determine query performance. I've used Performance Pack's
 Tuning
> > Pack and I find it very useful. TKPROF has better accuracy however
 but
> > it's harder to use. Pick your tradeoffs.
>
> I'm not sure that this *exactly* answers the original question.
 Things like
> Oracle Expert, TKPROF our old friend explain plan etc are helpful but
 they
> are mostly after the fact. I.E they tell you how a query is
 performing and
> point you at optimisations. They don't do things like estimated
 execution
> time etc and like Brian I can't really see how they could.

That's not true. Performance pack does give you "estimated execution time" BEFORE the fact. The problem of course, is that it is "estimated". In order to get the real execution time, you have to execute the query. That's why I was saying TKPROF is more accurate. Of course, you have to wait for the query to finish.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Oct 04 2000 - 18:34:26 CDT