Discovering Possible Deadlock...?

From: fooguy <jweisen_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 18:42:55 GMT

Our (poorly designed) Accounts Receivable software is a ~300MB (that's right, 300MB. 20 users - what a waste of Oracle) database running under Oracle 7.3.3 on OpenVMS. Performance has begun to degrade again, and despite updating statistics, reindexing, it's just not what it used to be. I'm thinking it's time to dump and reload.

We have one Crystal Report, however, that sometimes takes 40 minutes to run, and sometimes only takes 2. When it's running, the system has no I/O, just 100% CPU utilization. I ran an Explain Plan on the SQL string that the report is based on, and it took almost 2 hours to do that. I'm wondering if it's hitting a deadlock. Is there a view that would report that, or some sort of debugging feature that might tell me what's going on?

Suggestions, thoughts, opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
John

"All I every wanted from life was to see
Larry Wall give Bill Gates a Perl Necklace."

/*
John Eisenschmidt
 fooguy AT AT AT eisenschmidt DOT DOT DOT org
(you know the drill)
*/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.