Re: two inserts at same time

From: <lfto_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 20:53:33 GMT

it's more the matter of handling an error in the case that a process goes to INSERT a record it thinks doesn't exist which was determined by a previous SELECT on the user id.

and between the SELECT and INSERT, another process sneaks in the record with an INSERT. ....and this brings up my question if oracle will now throw and exception on the initial process because it's INSERTING a record that now exists....

but according to your email, it seems like the 2nd insert would be fine. does oracle know that two inserts are going on at the same time even though neither process has committed yet? in this case i could see oracle marking both processes as valid INSERTS.......and allowing both processes to INSERT???
thanks
mike
In article <8rdcca$a2p$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   eldredjames_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> The second insert will be fine unless in violates a constraint in the
> table. The question becomes: Do you need both of these records? and
> What are you trying to accomplish?
>
> In article <8rd6qg$4ol$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> myarch5_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> > if there are two processes A and B, and they both go to INSERT
> > the same record and process A COMMITS first, will process B then
> > go to COMMIT its INSERT and then bomb because a record already
 exists?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Oct 03 2000 - 15:53:33 CDT