two inserts at same time

From: <myarch5_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 17:59:50 GMT

if there are two processes A and B, and they both go to INSERT the same record and process A COMMITS first, will process B then go to COMMIT its INSERT and then bomb because a record already exists?

I have a situation where i need to do a
'select count(*) from miketable where user = 100' to determine if i should INSERT or UPDATE....

If I determine that I INSERT, i'm concerned between the SELECT and INSERT that another process INSERTS the record......which means i would need a UPDATE instead...

mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Oct 03 2000 - 12:59:50 CDT