Re: Performance estimation

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 14:17:54 GMT

> Well Brian, as much as I appreciate your comments, I have to disagree here:

I'm always in the mood for a little disagreement....

> Oracle itself has - in co-operation with HP, Compaq and Dell (I think it was
> Dell)
> create a program called database sizer.
> It works kind of the other way around - you tell the load, and the program
> will
> estimate the h/w (by HP, Compaq - you get the general idea!) needed to archive

So now I have to disagree with a you a little. The program you are talking about (from your description) helps to size the database and estimate the hardware. But does it accurately estimate response time for a given query as the original poster suggested? For instance, if I give you a query such as:

   SELECT col1,col2,AVG(col3)
   FROM tableA
   WHERE col1=cond1 AND col2=cond2
   GROUP BY col1,col2
   ORDER BY col1,col2;
Can you plug in some numbers such as the block size, the buffer cache size, etc. and tell me how long it takes to execute this query? I think that this is what the original poster was looking for.

I have no doubts that such a program as you described exists and is very helpful in a variety of situations. But it seems to digress from the original post.

Just my 3.14159265 cents worth,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at