Re: Recovery From Hot Backup

From: <kal121_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 21:45:46 GMT

To clarify, is is highly recommended that you multiplex your online redo log groups to different disks/controllers. That way, if you lose one of the redo log members, you still have a working copy on another disk(s).

Yes, it is true, if you are running archivelog mode, you will have a history of your online redo logs. But if for some reason you lose all your online redo log members, you lose all the transactions in those online redo logs and the archive logs can't help you here.

You never want to backup online redo logs if you are running in archivelog mode because you could accidentally overwrite the current online redo logs with the older, useless backed-up redo logs. However, if you are NOT running in archivelog mode, you CAN backup your online redo logs and recover them without danger. It is only when you are running in ARCHIVELOG MODE that this is a very, very bad idea.

In article <8rdd05$qd3$1_at_news.gte.com>,
  "Kevin Brand" <kevin.brandx_at_tel.gte.com> wrote:

> If you loose a member of an online redo group...
>
> Assuming you are in ARCHIVELOG mode, AND that you have multiple
 groups of
> redo with multiple redundant members, you simply restore your latest
 full
> hot backup ( or equivalent ) and apply all your archived redo up to
 the
> point of failure. Then allow the database to recover all committed
> transactions in the online redo members that are still available for
 each
> group.
>
> Basically, you should never loose ALL your online redo. If you do,
 you
> could always recover up to the last archived redo log, then open
 RESETLOGS.

> -Kevin
> <perfect_golf_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > Scenario: I do a hot backup every night which includes backing up
 all
> > tablespaces, control files, archive log files & parameter file. The
> > redo log files are not backed up. This is based on Oracles backup/
> > recovery documentation.
> >
> > Question: If I loss all the online redo log file(s), how do I
 recover
> > these file(s)???
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Oct 03 2000 - 16:45:46 CDT