Re: DATE Format: iw vs. ww for returning week

From: <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:30:36 GMT

In article <37f68e9b.25271388_at_news.earthlink.net>,   andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net wrote:
> OK,
> I've been trying to find docs on this, and wasn't able to.
> iw seems to be the ISO standard for weeks
> ww seems to be an Oracle standard for weeks
> iw would sometimes return 53 for Jan 1st
> one would start thinking that iw returns week assuming that a new week
> starts on monday, but it returns week one when Jan 1st falls on a thur
> (1998)... anyway, I can't figure it out, does anybody know how these
> 'formats' calculate week #?
>
> Thanx.

Oracle documentation states that for WW week 1 is from the first to the seventh day of the year. All subsequent weeks are calculated from this reference point. Also, according to the Oracle documentation for IW, the result can be either 52 or 53 weeks for the year; I presume that should there be roughly half a week or better left at the end of the year it becomes week 53.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/