Re: Running an SQL script from C Shell (Unix)

From: Kevin Brand <kevin.brandx_at_tel.gte.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 15:22:56 -0500

If you plan to use sqlplus with the username and password either on the command line or in a shell variable ( both of which can be "seen" by anyone with an account on the UNIX box ), I suggest you setup OS authenticated login for a particular UNIX account, then run your scripts from there. That way your command line would just contain a slash (/), which helps nobody break into your database.

sqlplus / @script will allow the current UNIX user to log in to the instance as long as an OS authenticated oracle user has been defined with the same name ( prefixed by the setting of os_authent_prefix in the init file ).

This makes for a much more secure execution environment in the long run.

-Kevin