Re: analyzing db for performance bottlenecks

From: <tworosz_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 12:58:16 GMT

In article
<969396795.14213.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,   "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> Start using utlbstat and utlestat first before
 getting to buy any tools.
> It's free and it comes with Oracle.
> Just run utlbstat at one point in time, and
 utlestat 4 to 8 hours later.
> Don't forget to enable timed_statistics, before
 you do this.

> However, I already have a feeling you

 incorrectly blame the database. Here's
> why:
> Question:
> Are you using bind variables?
> My experience is many java/jdbc programmers
 don't use them. Doing so they
> will force a *hard parse* (which is very
 costly) and a very low statement
> hit-ratio at the database side.
> The Oracle Enterprise Edition is capable of
 translating all those hardcoded
> literals into bind variables, the Oracle Server
 Edition isn't. You don't
> specify which edition you are using, but it
 wouldn't surprise me if this is
> the problem.
> In that case, You are vexing your cpu too much
 by sending all those

> > Hi,
> >
> > We are doing performance tests on our server
 and it looks like the
> > bottleneck is database. We are using oracle
 8.1.6 on solaris or NT with
> > java/corba server and the connection to
 database is using JDBC. On
> > solaris, one java server can handle 1800
 requests/minute and increasing
> > the number of servers to 4 (all of them
 connecting to the same db)
> > increases the total number of requests
 handled by the system. But after
> > that point, increasing the number of java
 servers does not help. This is
> > the case even if we move each server to its
 own machine and the db alone
> > on one machine.
> >
> > Do you know of good tools to analyze the
 database to see where the
> > bottlenecks are or tools to help tune a
 database? We have checked for
> > disk contention and shared memory so far and
 they seem fine. Thank you,

> > Manju.
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
>
> I have tried OEM and other tools to figure
outthe same problems you are having. I agree, test before you buy. I ended up going wwith Savant Enterprise. They have been around for 5 years and the diagnostics are awesome. They also include tuning and reporting in thier suite. I know they do demos and evals. I solved my problem in 30 minutes.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 02 2000 - 07:58:16 CDT