Re: Oracle newbie

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 08:11:05 +1000

You mean adding new users?

Use sqlplus: create user blah identified by password

                   default tablespace X
                   temporary tablespace Y
                   quota 0 on system
                   [quota Zm on other_tablespace...repeat as necessary]
                   [password expire];

Quotas are optional -it only really matters if the new user is going to have the rights to create objects (tables, indexes etc).

That last line is also optional -it expires the password you set up, so the User is prompted to type their own in on first login -but only if the application correctly traps the situation (sqlplus can trap it, server manager, for example, doesn't).

You'll also need to grant system and object privileges to the new user: grant system_prvilege to user and grant object_privilege on object to user.

At a minimum, you should grant create session to user, otherwise they won't be able to log in at all.

And be aware that the only person that can grant privileges on an object is the owner of that object, or someone to whom the privilege has previously been granted with the 'grant' option.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000