Re: Gonig from NT4 to Unix platform +Oracle 7.3.3 to 8.1.6

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 16:58:05 +0200

You are not saying you, as a soon to be DBA, are going to perform the actual migration, do you? I would strongly advise *against* making those two changes at the same time, especially if you are not familiar with Unix, and if you are not familiar with DBA tasks. This looks like the perfect scenario to run into major disasters,as Oracle 8i is a major upgrade, and switching to Unix is a paradigm change
If you still want to proceed, I strongly advise you to take at least a week to get familiar with Oracle on Unix, perform an install, create an empty database, and so on.
I also strongly advise you to read to read and to read. Just 'starting somewhere' is the safest route to the scaffold in this case. If you are in the UK, you may want to hire guys like Jonathan Lewis and/or Connor McDonald. They probably aren't cheap but at least they know what they are doing.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA