Re: Problem w/ oracle8iR2 startup (not an oracle newbie)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 12:03:24 +0200

On 29 Sep 2000 19:25:49 GMT, lwc4and1_at_aol.comnotrash (Lwc4and1) wrote:

>alert log does not show anything, neither does the trace files. (and yes I
>know where they are ;^). I have never had this problem and I have been
>installing and using Oracle since V5 on everything from SCO to AIX and Solaris.
> Could it be Linux that is the problem? Or am I just so old that I can't
>understand this newfangled stuff. I REALLY liked V6.

Strange. Any issues with shared memory segments? swapfiles being full? the /tmp filesystem. Must be some sort of virtual memory problem.

I must say I'm not too fond of the fancy stuff they are providing now, but I don't want to go back to the days of V5 and V6 , where an increase of SGA-size forced you to relink all your Pro-Pascal programs.
I was forced to work with a (desupported) 6.0.36 a few years ago, as opposed to 7.3.2, and I felt crippled. The only option to enlarge a tablespace adding a datafile? Na!
But I agree we probably both reach a point where they need to lock us away with some desupported stuff, as we are the only ones who can maintain it, and as we can't keep up with the fancy new stuff.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sat Sep 30 2000 - 05:03:24 CDT