Re: Problem taking datafile offline.

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 09:57:18 +1000

Try doing (again from the mount state):

Alter database datafile blah offline DROP;

That should then allow you to alter database open. Then you can drop the tablespace (no, offline dropping the file doesn't get rid of the tablespace, so it's a two-stage process). They key bit is the DROP keyword, which indicates to Oracle that you don't want to bother with recovering the file, you just want to get rid of it.

Finally, hop off out to the O/S and delete the actual file involved.

And (really finally this time!) recreate your tablespace. Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000