character data used as a number

From: James A. Williams <willjamu_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 17:33:10 GMT

I have a user with an application with a column of a table defined as VARCHAR2 instead of NUMBER for whatever reason. The table has no constraints about the column in question at the moment. When the data comes from DB2 on OS/390 (where there can be a dash in the number occasionally it is inserted into the Oracle table. Users use the TONUM function to convert the value to a number for processing. We if dashes are in the column this does not work. What would be a query I could use to check for all varchar2 's that can't be converted to a number? Received on Sat Sep 30 2000 - 12:33:10 CDT