Re: lowering memory demands

From: Igor V. Podkorytov <piv_at_countrymen.omsk.su>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 13:16:06 +0700

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> You need to lower your init<sid>.ora parameters, db_block_buffers and
> shared_pool_size.
> Most likely you have a db_block_size of 8 and db_block_buffers of 16000, I
> would lower it to 8000 or 10000.
> I would lower the shared_pool_size to 40M
> The init<sid>.ora file typically is located in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs
> You need to bounce the database once you have changed the parameters.
> The total SGA should not exceed 128-160M in your case.
>
> Of course this is all well documented, and some RTM would be required from
> you the next time.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> "Dolommite" <dolommite_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I started my initial DB on my Sol8 machine, and got the following msgs *
> > (8i):
> > ============
> > SVRMGR>
> > ORACLE instance started.
> > Total System Global Area 211660708 bytes
> > Fixed Size 94116 bytes
> > Variable Size 79740928 bytes
> > Database Buffers 131645440 bytes
> > Redo Buffers 180224 bytes
> > Database mounted.
> > Database opened.
> > =============
> > I've only got .5gb in this machine, now it's about gone already. Any
> > type of access to the db and it starts paging. How can I lower this? I
> > know this is a pretty academic q for most of you - so my apologies in
> > advance.
> >
> > Greg

Had similar problem on Sol8 machine. Of course, i agree with Sybrand's method.

In my situation there was "rather small" swap (256M) on machine with 128M RAM.

So server was running very slow and didn't allow more then 2 sessions. SGA was about 50M at all.
I increased swap and all went OK. Server is now running rather well (as it may do on 128M RAM :))
Hope it will help somebody.

Best regards, Igor Podkorytov Received on Sat Sep 30 2000 - 01:16:06 CDT