Re: Problem taking datafile offline.

From: Stuart Beauchamp <sbeauchamp_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 12:04:58 +0100

Have you firstly issued the command ?:

drop tablespace (tablespace name) including contents

This will drop all the objects from that tablespace and then teh tablespcae itself. Once this is done you can use the command:

alter database datafile 'path&filename' offline drop

You will need to do this for all datafiles for that tablespace.

run a select on dba_data_files to check to see if these files appear in the list. Once gone you can then temporarily rename the datafiles from the operating system and try and shutdown and restart your database to ensure all is O.K. If so, delete the datafiles from teh operating system. Hope this helps.

Stuart