Re: Need a reality check!

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 12:32:14 +1000

Lousy idea, unless you want to see your redo log sub-system thrashed to within an inch of its life. When a tablespace is placed in hot backup mode, the smallest change to a block within that tablespace causes the *entire* block to be written to the log buffer (and hence onwards into the online redo logs and the archived logs). Normally, only the changed data itself is written. Hence the throughput on redo goes up enormously.

So, extremely bad idea.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000