Access to LOB columns

From: <puffinry_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 14:29:08 GMT

I have a database with two users, "admin" and
"client".

I have a table called DATA, owned by "admin". I want "client" to be able to read the data, so:

CREATE SYNONYM client.DATA for admin.DATA; GRANT SELECT ON admin.DATA to client;

For ordinary datatypes this approach works very well.
However for any LOB (BLOB or CLOB), the client can SELECT the locator, and then use the locator to update
the data (via OCI, JDBC, PL/SQL etc)

That isn't what I wanted :-)
Is there any way to allow some user to read from the locator,
but not write to it?

 .robin.

ps. As a workaround, I have a package owned by
"admin",

which can be executed by "client". I then only allow the client to SELECT from a restricted VIEW which excludes the LOB columns. The client must use this package to read the LOB data. This is cumbersome, to say the least ;)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Sep 28 2000 - 09:29:08 CDT