Re: Mixed Case names in 8.1.6 via ODBCC

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 14:39:11 GMT

In article <8qvin9$16h$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   eseckler_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Has Orale dropped support for mixed case table and column names? I'm
> having a problem using Oracle 8.1.6 with my ODBC application. All of
> the catalog functions I've tried fail to return any rows if a mixed
> case table or column name is specified. The same functions return
 rows
> (on the same databases) if I use the 8.0.5 client and driver.
> Specifically SQLTables, SQLColumns, and SQLStatistics have been tried.
> Is this a known bug? Does anyone else use Mixed (or lower) case names
> with Oracle?
>
> Is there a way to see what the SQL is that is getting to the server?
> I'd like to see what the ODBC driver / Oracle Client is sending to the
> Oracle server.
>
> I'm also having a problem inserting a row into a table with a
> BLOB column. I get an invalid column error on the insert but the
> column name works fine on the select. Any idea what could be wrong
> here?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> Ed Seckler
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Oracle has never supported mixed case table and column names, except by forcing you to embed them in double quotes. In sql*plus identifiers are always converted to uppercase automatically. The behavior you describe is a known bug or feature of ODBC, not of Oracle.
To see what sql ODBC sends to the server, you need to enable OBDC tracing by using the ODBC applet in control panel. Warning: the files can get very big.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply