Re: Oracle 8.1.6 & ODBC

From: <jocave_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 02:02:10 GMT

In article <8qt5ns$3ci$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   eseckler_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Justin,
>
> I'm having a problem using Oracle 8.1.6 with my ODBC
> application. It seems that all of the catalog functions I've tried
> fail to return any rows if a mixed case table or column name is
> specified. The same functions return rows (on the same databases) if
> use the 8.1.5 client and driver. Specifically SQLTables, SQLColumns,
> and SQLStatistics have been tried. Is this a known bug and if so when
> do you expect a fix?

I assume you're passing in the table names in double quotes (your followup message leads me to believe this is the case). If so, I'm at a bit of a loss to explain what you're seeing because I cannot replicate it on my machine.

If I

create table "MixedCaseTable" values( col1 varchar2( 1000 ) );

calling SQLTables, SQLColumns, or SQLStatistics and passing in "MixedCaseTable" always returns data for me.

This leads me to believe that there may be an environmental problem. You may try updating both your MDAC and your Oracle client. Note that Microsoft released their 2.6 MDAC a couple days ago. I'm using that MDAC on my machine at the moment, but it's too new for us to have certified our ODBC driver with it. Make sure you're at least on the last 2.5 MDAC.

You can download the Oracle client 8.1.6.1.2 patchkit from ftp://oracle-ftp.oracle.com/server/patchsets/wgt_tech/server/windowsNT/

and the MDAC from
http://www.microsoft.com/data

> I'm also having a problem inserting a row into a table with a
> BLOB column. I get an invalid column error on the insert but the
> column name works fine on the select. Any idea what could be wrong
> here?

That's odd-- not a problem I've heard of before. Can you post a quick code snippet that shows what you're trying to do?

Justin Cave
Oracle ODBC Development

Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not reflect those of Oracle Corporation

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Sep 28 2000 - 21:02:10 CDT