Re: Copying Database to new SID

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 20:07:15 +1000

DETAILS!!! I think I posted the original ages ago (well, a week or more ago), and I can't remember for the life of me the context, so ANY TIME you post, can you please include full error message details?? Particularly since I don't have my big boys book of Oracle error messages handy, and don't have the time to check technet!! (and that's a general message to anyone else who might consider posting *anything* here!)

That said, the mix of 8.1.5 and Windows 2000 is a bad one... Oracle only supports 8.1.6 for Windows 2000. Now that's not to say 8.1.5 simply *won't* work on W2K, because I had it working for a couple of months without problem. But it's not supported -which means nearly anything could be causing your problems. It *might* be a simple configuration thing that we can work through. But it might also be that there is a mysterious Oracle-W2K interaction that we'll never track down for sure.

My advice is to cut the losses, get hold of 8.1.6, and have a fresh go.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000